Labor Pain Resources
- The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions (4th edition, 2013), by Penny Simkin. This book will help build knowledge, skills and confidence for your partner, friend or family member as she or he prepares to offer labor support.
- Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn (4th Edition): The Complete Guide (2010), by Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley, and Ann Keppler. This book covers all aspects of childbearing from conception through early infancy; for information specifically on labor pain, see chapters 8, 9, 10 and 12.
- The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Revised) (2003), by Sheila Kitzinger. This book provides candid information about what mothers need to know, ranging from ways to navigate the technical landscape of hospital births to making the personal choices of a water home birth.
- Birthing from Within
- Childbirth Graphics
- The Bradley Method® of Natural Childbirth
- Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association (CAPPA)
- International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA)
- Lamaze International
- Comfort Measures for Childbirth is a 91-minute DVD that covers basic relaxation and rhythmic breathing; comfort measures, devices and positions; techniques to help with back pain and labor progress; and positions and techniques for pushing and birth.
- InJoy Childbirth Videos sells a variety of educational and instructional videos on prenatal care, childbirth, breastfeeding and postpartum care.
- Epidural pros and cons
- Laboring Under An Illusion is an eye-opening video showing how childbirth and labor pain are sensationalized in popular media. It clarifies that pregnant women need accurate, high-quality information on these topics.
- Standing and slow dancing
- The Three R’s (relaxation, rhythm and ritual) and slow breathing